Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A fishy experience

So last week Gordon and I decided that we were going to buy some fish, I spent a total of .72 cents on four gold fish and 4.89 on one sucker fish. I brought them home and put them in their nice 5 gallon tank where they seemed very happy. Amazingly enough they lasted through the night and the rest of the next day. At about 5pm Gordon came home with 3 guppies. He put them in the tank and proceeded to pour in salt. Goldfish can live in saltwater for awhile (and is good for them occasionally to soak in saltwater), but sucker fish wont last long. When we realized the mistake we went out to buy another tank. We filled it full of water and moved the freshwater fish into the bigger tank. At about 6pm we had the first of the casualties, one of the salt water fish didn't make it. the next morning we found the other two fish hadn't made it ether but all of the fresh water fish have been doing well. We bought 3 neon tetra fish so that my gold fish would have more friends. We also decided to not do salt water fish until next year. They take WAY too much work.

9 comments:

Kim and Ken Carlile said...

Good to see you blog!!! Ken has been talking a lot lately about wanting to get Abraham a fish tank. I think he'd like to get a big monster 50 galloner like the Davis' though.

Charlotte said...

We used to love our 10 gallon tank. I think Salt Water tanks take a little more work than pouring in salt. They have to be constantly monitored for different chemical levels (I think?). We would like to get one someday, but not until we can afford to have someone take care of it for us. So probably never.

Jessica Tucker said...

Fish take alot of work and they stink when the water is dirty (which is all the time) Hope you enjoy the fish. Good luck.

GordonTucker said...

You sure don't sound like you really want fish Jessica... Almost as if you were Mom or Dad and just using the name Jessica. That couldn't happen though. Mom ALWAYS checks who she is posting as.

Charlotte said...

I was confused about the comment for a second until I figured it out, too. I would laugh, except I have commented on photos while logged in as Peter on facebook.

GordonTucker said...

I have too, but usually I'm quick enough to delete it and repost before anyone can say anything about it.

Brenda said...

Yeah, there is a reason why we have a fresh water tank....salt water tanks are TONS of work and REALLY expensive. It does take a lot more than just pouring in salt by the way ;) Good luck with the tank. Sucker fish are MEGA important, you can buy algae pellets to feed them until your tank gets established enough to support them.

One more tip, dont name your fish and it is easier when the die!

Jessica Tucker said...

someone made a comment under my name lol.
I already named 5 of my fish the sucker fish is House since he is such a loner and my gold fish are named Bones, Booth, Hodgens, and Angela. I don't think that i am going to name the others. if they do die i think it would make me way too sad.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...